Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Spot of Color" tank top

I started with two old, stained t-shirts.
 I tried one on and marked where I wanted the new arm and neck holes. Then cut the two the same.
I opened the shoulders and, with right sides together, sewed the 'facing' to the outside around arm holes, and neck. Leaving about 3/8 of an inch at the top unsewn. (We are sewing the shoulder at the end so that they can be turned inside out. You do not sew the bottoms at this time either. 
Once everything is turned back right side out you can sew the shoulders - only the outside layer. The inside facing is slip-stitched. 
The bottom of the tank can be sewn separately (this will fall most naturally) or folded over the top-stitiched. I wanted the look of a full lining so I sewed the two layers to each other. This requires some fancy folding that is hard to explain - and there will be a small opening that will have to be slip stitched at the end. Before you sew you will end up with something like this: 
The idea for the cut-outs I got from another blog post a long time ago and I went back to see if I could find it. If anyone has seen a similar tutorial please let me know and I will link. The process: I drew myself some guidelines and sewed through both layers. 
I then cut through the top layer and added some more 'top' stitches - alternating opening and closing my new 'windows'. 
Here is the finished product. I think I may sew up the shoulders. I was going for a low arm-hole on purpose but after trying it on - it just looks like poor cutting. I do like the layered look - and it definitely does not look like two stained t-shirts anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment