Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Summer Dress Re-fashion

Summer is coming - which means new dresses. And..money is tight so that means - refashion! There is little I love as much as a good refashion. I bought this dress last year at the Sally Anne for 7.00 and I`ve had it stored away since then. To celebration this new blog today was the day it got out and got a ride on Judy.
 Love: the fabric is a super light-weight denim and so great for summer. There was a ton of fabric as this skirt went right to the floor. The bodice already fit so a re-make was going to be really straight-forward. I also loved the big pockets.
Don`t like: The floor length was dated and I`ve never looked great in strapless, suffering, like most women, from `under arm bubbles`. So....










I started looking at apron dresses. I saw these:
source

source
Classic and very summery.
I cut down my dress to below the knee and used the extra cloth to make some straps. The hardest part was finding enough of the fabric on the grain to make the straps as the original skirt was a circle skirt. I also used some of the extra fabric to make a facing for the new neck line. And voila!

If anyone wanted to look closely enough you could see that there are two different kinds of topstitiching now. Anyone who might notice will also probably be a sewer. And... this was a one nap project! (That includes the blog post.) Speaking of which I hear her now....Next up: a refashion of a white shirt for underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment